I suppose that technically I'm lucky... I mean, I get to experience the problems of an astronomer first hand... many years before most people do. APPARENTLY I was wrong about actually fixing the orientation of the image yesterday, I just wrote out the image with the wrong header file, so it LOOKED like it was right. So after a LOT of help from Dmitry I finally understood what I was supposed to be doing. Then I got some more help from Dr. Richardson. He showed me a package of programs that I could use to rotate the image, so that it's rotated like it should be. of course, this was after I downloaded a huge package for one program that turned out to be the wrong one. Naturally.